Elijah Page SMART
Elijah was born on 16 April 1846 in Moulton, Northamptonshire and was baptised in the same place on 31 May 1846. With the rest of the family, he came to New Zealand on the Randolph in 1850.
For most of his life, work usually had something to do with farming around Geraldine, Burke's Pass and Albury. About 1886, Elijah purchased a farm near Burke's Pass, known as "Dornie", which is still in the family
He married Mary GREIG (spelt GREGG on wedding certificate) on 28 August 1878 in the residence of Mr Andrew BURNETT in Timaru. Mary GREIG was baptised on 25 December 1854 in Applecross, Ross And Cromarty in Scotland and came to New Zealand in 1874 on the Pleiades. She died on 3 February 1940 at the family farm near Burke's Pass and was buried in the Burke's Pass Cemetery on 5 february 1840.
Elijah died on 5 December 1930 at the family farm near Burke's Pass and was buried in the Burke's Pass Cemetery on 7 December 1930.
(From back left going clockwise, Dolenea, Margaret, Sarah, Mary-Ann, Mary, Charles, Eliza Helen, Elijah and Thomas. Photo was taken about 1898, prior to the birth of their youngest son, George.)
They had eight children:
- Sarah SMART was born on 22 April 1879 in Burke's Pass and died on 13 November 1970 in Christchurch and is buried in the Burke's Pass Cemetery. She married William Brown MANNING on 2 June 1902 at St Patricks Presbyterian Church in Burke's Pass. They had seven children.
- Margaret "Maggie" SMART was born on 1 January 1881 in Burke's Pass and died on 13 January 1959 in Temuka and buried in the Fairlie Cemetery at Fairlie on 16 January 1959. For her funeral, a detailed obituary notice was published. Click here to see that notice. On the New Zealand Birth Index, she is registered as Maggie, but it is Margaret on the Birth Certificate. She first married James "Jim" CALDER on 26 September 1906 in the residence of Mr MANNING's residence (probably either the person who married her sister Sarah, or his father) in Burke's Pass. They had four children. Her second marriage was to William "Willy" WILLIAMS on 23 October 1924 at the Presbyterian Manse in Temuka, New Zealand and they had one child.
- Dolina "Dolly" SMART was born on 20 September 1883 in Burke's Pass and died on 30 June 1960 at the family farm near Albury and is buried in the Burke's Pass Cemetery. She married Victor Robert HOWES on 19 December 1907 at Albury. They had eleven children.
- Thomas William "Tam' SMART was born on 21 August 1885 at Burke's Pass and died on 30 June 1924 in New Plymouth and is buried in the Te Henui Cemetery in New Plymouth. He married Dulcie Nora Emily PENNINGTON on 30 September 1915 in Waitara. They had three children.
- Charles "Charlie" SMART was born on 8 June 1889 at Burke's Pass) and died while serving with the New Zealand Army in Eqypt. Official death date is recorded as 31 March 1919.
- Eliza Helen Ellen "Totie" SMART was born on 1 September 1891 in Burke's Pass and died on 17 November 1979 in Waimate. She married on the family farm at Burke's Pass on 10 January 1912 to John Hunter STRUTHERS. They had six children.
- Mary-Ann Emily "Nan' SMART was born on 23 April 1894 at Burke's Pass and died on 28 May 1991 in Timaru and is buried in the Fairlie Cemetery at Fairlie. She married John Henderson "Johnny" WILLETTS at the family farm in Burke's Pass on 31 May 1920. They had three children.
- George SMART was born on 2 June 1899 in Burke's Pass and died on 4 September 1902 in the Timaru Hospital from infections received when he stabbed himself with garden equipment at home and is buried in the Burke's Pass Cemetery.
His brothers and sisters:
Edmund - born 18 September 1831
Amon - born 1 December 1832
Amos - born 13 February 1834
Amey - born 13 October 1835
Horton - born 22 January 1837
Eliza - born 29 May 1839
Enos - born 23 January 1841
Enon Page - born 9 February 1842
Enoch - born 16 August 1844
Eli Perkins - born 17 January 1848
William Willson - born 22 March 1850
Emily - born 8 January 1852
George Thomas - born 1 September 1853
Return to page on his parents
View Photos of Churchs connected with Smart Family