Horton "Acton" SMART
Horton was born on 22 January 1837 in the town of Moulton, Northamptonshire and was also baptised there on 26 January 1837. Like the rest of his family, he came to New Zealand in 1850 on the Randolph. For most of his time in Christchurch, he was a labourer.
On the trip to New Zealand, he was assistant cook and received £5.00 for his services.
(Copy of the duplicate receipt to indicate that Horton Smart did receive £5.00 for his services as cook on the Randolph.)
Horton died in the Christchurch Hospital on 10 June 1877 and was buried in the Barbadoes Street Cemetery in Christchurch on 12 June 1877.
During the 1860's/1870 Horton had a relationship with Rosanna NEAL, which resulted in five children, but is it believed that they never married as she was buried as Rosanna JOHNSON in the Waimate Old Cemetery. JOHNSON is the surname of her husband whom she married in 1856. Rosanna was born about 1840 in Wolston, Warwickshire, England, and died on 16 November 1926.
As listed above, Hortan and Rosanna had five children, and these were:
- Rosanna Letitia SMART was born 20 November 1867 in Geraldine and died 25 November 1951 in Timaru. She married William Frederick BEST on 2 April 1888 in Timary. They had four children.
- Amy Louisa SMART was born about 1868 in Geraldine. She married Thomas Aitken GARDYNE on 10 September 1889 in Waimate. They had eight children.
- Minnie SMART was born on 3 May 1871 in Christchurch and was baptised on 9 July 1871 at St Peters Church in Riccarton, Christchurch. She died on 22 February 1953 in Waimate, New Zealand. Minnie married Alexander TREGONING on 31 March 1892 at Waimate. They had two children. Her second marriage was to James HART about 1913.
- Emma SMART was born about 1873 and was married to John C R TURNER about 1892. They had eleven children.
- George William "Horton" SMART was born on 15 July 1876 in Christchurch and married Elizabeth Jessie "Lizzie" BAKER about 1905. He died about 1962 in Oamaru. There is one known child.
His brothers and sisters:
Edmund - born 18 September 1831
Amon - born 1 December 1832
Amos - born 13 February 1834
Amey - born 13 October 1835
Eliza - born 29 May 1839
Enos - born 23 January 1841
Enon Page - born 9 February 1842
Enoch - born 16 August 1844
Elijah Page - born 16 April 1846
Eli Perkins - born 17 January 1848
William Willson - born 22 March 1850
Emily - born 8 January 1852
George Thomas - born 1 September 1853
Return to page on his parents
View Photos of Churchs connected with Smart Family
(page last updated on 28 February 2009)